Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lady Grey Muslin Traced, Pinned, Cut

Yesterday I traced, pinned and cut the muslin for the Lady Grey coat. I had a class this evening or I would have started basting it together. I have another event tomorrow night, so it looks like it will be the weekend before I do much more. Here it is on my cutting table.

I wanted to cut my muslin from something with a similar weight to my coat fabric. I had an unused red faille shower curtain that I thought might work, but it turned out to be too small. (It's now tagged to become a raincoat for Moby, my very large white Standard Poodle. He looks great in red!)

I decided to use the floral tapestry home dec fabric that I blogged about here. Part of me thought it would make a really cute coat, but another part of me thought I would look like I was wearing someone's grandmother's sofa. It was that image that helped me decide to sacrifice it for the muslin. (What you are seeing in the photo are the strange colors of the reverse side. The background is black on the right side.)

I'm thinking of using what's left of the tapestry after cutting my muslin to make this Cynthia Rowley purse, Simplicity 2350. But that's a project for another day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog:). Yes I'm sure I could come up with a few more ideas, but I don't want to bore everyone;). So you're a sewing-gal - I love the fabric you're using for your coat project, I think the leftover fabric will make a gorgeous bag. I love the pattern you've chosen. Hope you're getting lots of stitching time in this weekend - can't wait to see the final product. You have a new follower! xo